Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Unfolding a Scatterbrain, a Cauldron, and an Ant

The first known use of the word scatterbrained was in 1747.  I had been using this word to describe what my brain has been like the last few weeks, but I've learned it's not really a word I would want to use to describe myself.  Merriam-Webster defines scatterbrained as "having the characteristics of a scatterbrain."  That makes it very clear, doesn't it?  Okay, so what is a scatterbrain?  It is defined as a "giddy, heedless person."  The definition becomes increasingly more clear with every word I look up.  NOT!!  The dictionary says the first known use of scatterbrain was in 1659.  Was it really almost 100 years before describing a person as a scatterbrain and saying they are scatterbrained?  Hmmm.  Must just be first time in print.

Anyway, we probably all know what a giddy person is like.  A heedless person is one who lacks direction or thought.  My mind isn't like this lately.  It is more like a cauldron full of thoughts all mixing together.  I can multitask to an extent but, when there are two or more urgent matters swimming around in my mind, I have difficulty.  I am starting to think about Jake going to college and what needs to be done here in the next 3-1/2 years to be sure he can get into the college he wants and study the major he is interested in.  I also have to consider what is best for Nate and Paige for their future and my sanity as a homeschooling mom.  I am having to work with an attorney to be sure my medical bills are paid from an accident I was in last year.  I always have our finances on my mind and being sure we are not overspending.  (The $10 late fee charge I just got hit with for being late on Paige's dance class payment doesn't help that.  Utilities don't even charge that much for a late payment.)  I am taking a class online that will hopefully allow me to begin doing medical transcription again.  I have friends with cancer.  The list goes on and on.

I would rather let life just happen but, at some point, I need to be proactive so that things are done and done well.  If I do nothing, there will be consequences.  If I don't do right by my kids, they may not get where they want to be in life when they get older.  I know they have to play their part in the process, but finding their curriculum and teaching them is my responsibility.  Dealing with the attorney needs to be done so that my bills are paid.  Going through this class is something I have to do if I want to be able to work at home and be there for my kids as opposed to having to work outside of the home.  Good things in life are worth working for.

I am reminded of Proverbs 6:6 which says, "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise."  A sluggard is a habitually lazy person.  I do not want to be a sluggard.  I'd rather be like an ant.  The female worker ant takes care of the queen, the young, and the ant nest.  They search for food.  They store the food.  They build the nest.  Some worker ants are soldiers, guarding the nest.  Worker ants are born for a life of service, and they live on average 1-5 years.  Why should I, being made in the image of God, choose to be lazy when a small ant, not made in the image of God but created by God, works from the time it is born until the time it dies?  God is always at work but does rest.  He is always creating and is always involved in our lives, but he takes time for rest.  I should do the same - expect to work and work hard but take time for rest.  It shouldn't be the other way around - lounge around all day every day and then do a little bit of work from time to time.  I need to just get busy and get stuff done.

1 comment:

  1. So noteworthy you are. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete