Saturday, May 14, 2011

Unfolding the Aspartame

So, it's been two weeks almost completely free of aspartame.  I had one diet Dr. Pepper a week and a half ago that made me nauseated, and I had a couple of sips of a diet pop I was sent for a survey.  I have to say, though, after two weeks I feel like my memory has improved.  I have less word-finding difficulties than I had before.  It sounds strange to be excited that I can find words like "refrigerator" in a sentence when I'm talking, but it really has been a struggle lately.  I found an article yesterday about the mechanism of aspartame in your body.  Check it out at http://aspartame.mercola.com/.  It makes sense why I was having so many problems.  I've got another month and a half to see what else improves.


In the past week, I've had a lot of premature ventricular contractions.  My heart will beat normally and then it will pause.  The beat right after the pause is very hard.  If I am exercising while this happens, that next beat actually hurts.  Potassium and magnesium are minerals that help regulate muscle contractions.  When I was drinking diet pop, I was getting a lot of potassium.  Since I cut that out and changed my diet, the PVCs have started up.  Now I need to figure out how to get enough potassium and magnesium in my diet without eating my daily alloted calories in bananas.  I might get all hairy and start swinging from vines.


Do you remember me saying that Paige was not very happy that I told her no more aspartame?  She read the article I cited above and came to me telling me that even though she was sad that she wouldn't be getting any more aspartame she knew that I was doing the right thing by not letting her have anymore.  It's nice to know that sometimes they figure out how smart we are as their parents when they're young.



No comments:

Post a Comment