Thursday, March 17, 2011

Unfolding Sloppily

So, I'm pretty sure the Amish don't do science fair projects.  They're so lucky.  My DD grew bacteria in petri dishes that came from overused kitchen sponges.  She tried 3 different ways of getting them clean.  My advice after this experiment: DON'T run them through the dishwasher.  It helps a little but not enough to make me want to use them again. Lemon juice and boiling water work about the same and get rid of most every germ but, of course, it's not very economical to put your sponges in lemon juice every time you use them.  "Why does it work?" you ask.  Lemon juice is an acid and, as such, has antibacterial properties.  I digress back to the dishwasher.  I have hated my dishwasher for quite a while now.  It is an LG large tub, supposed to be the "quietest" dishwasher they make.  LOL!!!  Six months after we bought it, it started screeching like a banshee.  Sometimes it makes noises like it is going to explode, but we keep using it.  Sometimes it behaves and only squeals a few times during the cycle.  So, it doesn't seem to work right just based on the noises that it makes.  Now I really wonder if it works at all except to just throw water around inside.  Since it leaves all kinds of germs on sponges, I now wonder what is left on the plates.  Sounds like a science fair experiment for another time.  It also sounds like I should start rinsing my dishes in the hottest water my hands can stand and then air dry them.  I think the more I learn from the Amish the more I may become like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment